Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dream, Create, Believe

I live in a newfangled farmhouse on the edge of a cattle farm in the mountains of Virginia. Like most farmhouses, it's designed more for comfort than for impressing the neighbors, and contains more than its share of dirt and chaos. When we were building this house, my husband commented that he didn't want a fancy-looking house. "It should be homey," I said. "Yes," he replied. "The house should appear to be saying, 'Come in and have some soup.'"

Blogging is new to me. And since this is the inaugural post for Muses in Wooden Shoes, it would make sense to lay out my expectations for this blog -- its floorplan, if you will. The plan is that I'll post three blogs a week, with the possibility of more, on subjects that interest me: novels, poetry, perfume, memories, the senses, music, God... Comments will be welcome. (Please, come in and have some soup!) I just ask that you keep your language such that your mother could read the blog without embarrassment.

On the top floor of this Homey Farmhouse is my so-called Sewing Room. It's a small room which contains a twin bed, a nightstand with a lamp, a table with a sewing machine on it, and a chair. It's crowded. It's messy. But on the walls are three plaques with vital messages:

Dream
Create
Believe

These vital messages are all expressed as verbs, and that fact in itself is a vital message. If one wants to BE, one must DO. That's my hope for this blog: that as I Dream, Create, and Believe, I become more myself than I've ever been. Here's to the journey.

No comments: